Advanced Quantum Theory
Summer semester 2022
This lecture gives an introduction to quantum information theory and theory of open quantum systems. The lecture is accompanied by exercises and bi-weekly tutorials.
- Recap of basic quantum mechanics: Postulates, qubit systems, density matrix
- Quantum measurement
- Quantum entanglement
- Schmidt decomposition and purifications
- EPR paradox and Bell inequalities
- Quantum channels
- Distance measures between quantum states
- Classical and quantum entropy
- Quantum thermalization
- Lindblad Master equation
If you want to participate in this lecture, please sign up for the tutorials.
Dates and rooms
Lecture Mondays 14:15-16:00 starting on 25.04.2022. Room: Philos.-weg 12 / kHS.
Tutorials biweekly on Tuesdays 14:15-16:00 or Wednesdays 14:15-16:00.
Solid knowledge of quantum mechanics (PEP3+PTP4). Theoretical Quantum Statistics or Introduction to Quantum Science and Technology is very useful.
Mode of examination
The grade will be based on a written exam.
- Quantum computation and quantum information by Nielsen and Chuang
Classic textbook. We will focus in the quantum information part.
- The Theory of Quantum Information by Watrous
Comprehensive introduction to quantum information theory, rather formal/mathematical, including some more specialized concepts
- From Classical to Quantum Shannon Theory by Wilde
Very comprehensive introduction to classical and quantum information theory, focus on coding and data compression, data transmission
- Lecture notes of John Preskill (Chapters 1-4 and 10) and corresponding videos